As a tried and true yogi, one of my favourite parts of a retreat is that amazing bowl of homemade granola after a blissful morning yoga class. While granola is high in [healthy] fats, its a protein and nutrient-packed way to start the day!
I do quite a bit of food sensitivity testing in my naturopathic medicine practice and find that leaves a lot of people wondering what to have for breakfast. So here is the best granola you have ever had. It’s super simple to make and tastes amazing! My favourite is to serve this over some coconut yogurt with seasonal berries. Want to spice it up even more? Add in some cinnamon, nutmeg and/or all spice? Want to get fancy? Make up a berry or mango puree to drizzle over the top. Guaranteed to make you feel like you are spending the morning at a peaceful retreat centre!
The Best Granola You Have Ever Had
- 2 Cookie Sheets
- Parchment or silicone baking mat optional
- 2 cups rolled oats ideally gluten-free
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup shredded coconut ideally unsweetened
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds unsalted
- 1/2 cup oil I like canola or coconut
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup tahini or other nut or seed butter
- Heat over to 325F
- Melt oil, honey/maple syrup, and nut/seed butter together
- Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Pour liquid over top, a little bit at a time, mixing well until everything is just coated. Adding too much liquid will make for a soggy granola.
- Spread out mixture in a single layer on the baking sheets
- Bake for 10 minutes and then stir. Repeat as needed until your granola is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and mix in dried fruit.
- Cool completely and then store in an airtight container
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Robyn is the founder of Health, Wealth, Self Collective and owner of Local Health Integrative Clinic in Vancouver, BC. She has a general naturopathic medical practice focusing around fertility, women’s health, and digestive health. Robyn is a published author, yoga teacher, mama, wife and loves to spend as much time as possible outside.